Fire consumed about 20 houses along
with several properties therein Saturday in the densely populated township of West Point where scores of affected residents were rendered homeless.
Witnesses told reporters that the blaze started at one of the houses and later spread to others nearby.
No cause of the fire outbreak, which some residents blamed on a burning candle, has been revealed. No casualty was yet reported.
Our reporter, who visited the scene, said scores of the fire victims were in confusion while hauling their belongings on the Atlantic beach for apparent safety.
The congested nature of dwellings in West Point, most of them built with sticks and mats, hindered fire fighters from the Liberia National Fire Service and LPRC from killing the blaze to the detriment of property owners.
Meanwhile, the fire victims have sent an SOS to government, the Liberia National Red Cross and other humanitarian groups.