Two children were killed and several other people got injured in a blaze that gutted a house in the Dry Rice Market community Sunday night while its occupants were asleep.
Survivors said the fire whose cause has not been established, also destroyed several thousand dollars worth of properties.
But a survivor of the inferno, Tutu Sesay, who refused being photographed, said a Tiger generator in the house ignited the fire.
“The machine was the cause of the fire,” she insisted to this paper on Monday.
She said her brother was pouring gasoline into the generator without first switching it off, thus sparking the blaze which left two sleeping children—ages 3 and five—suffocated to death.
“Our brother, instead of cutting off the generator before putting in the gas, decided to refill the machine while it was beating.
“So, that was the cause of the fire. I felt down and got wounded in the fire,” Tutu said.
Mataneh Kamara, mother of the dead children, said the fire brought a “complete setback” to her the family.
“We lost everything. The two children who died were sleeping and there was no way they could be rescued,” she cried.