Several former and current government officials
indicted in audit reports of the General Auditing Commission (GAC) for “misapporiations and theft of properties” would be dragged to court by the government to prove their innocense, Solicitor-General Micah Wilkins Wright has warned.
He said prosecution of fomer supritendents indicted in GAC audit reports is presently ongoing in Judicial Circuit Courts in their various counties.
Former Supt Christopher B. Bailey of Grand Gedeh County, accused of misappropriation of county development funds, “is on the run and wanted for prosecution,” Cllr. Wright indicated.
“His Assistant Supritendent, Nyonbio S. Seoh, is already detained at the palace of correction in Zwedru,” he told the state radio Monday.
Both former county officials are to account for over US$400,000 in the County Development Fund (CDF), according to the GAC report.
Cllr. Wright clarified that the “move is not a whitch-hunt” but intended to demonstrate the government’s “willingness” to fight “graft and corruption.”
“President Sirleaf has clearly told me that we should be vigorous on proceedings with corruption cases. She places serious attention to this,” media reports quoted Cllr. Wright as saying.
The GAC report last year indicted several supritendents and other officials of government for “theft of property” and “corruption”.
Indicted in the GAC audit reports include former County Supritendents Edith Gongloe-Ware (Nimba), Beauty Barcon (Montserrado), Christopher Beh Bailey (Grand Gedeh), Mohammed Massaley (Bomi), Levi Z. Piah (Margibi), Rosalind Sneh (Grand Kru) and Julia Ducan-Cassell (Grand Bassa), who is currently Minister of Gender and Development.